Building a healthy dietary habit contributes to the lion’s share in maintaining good health. If you think deeply, you’ll be amazed to discover that it’s food that fuels all the activities in our life. Food reaches every cell in our body and nourishes them. Whenever the building blocks of our body need energy, food is here to revitalize them. Without the formation of a healthy eating habit, our body and mind can’t function efficiently.
Related Post: How Long Does It Take To Build A Habit
Our body is literally a machine. To keep it functioning smoothly, you need to provide healthy foods, like a machine that needs pure lubricants to work properly. If you can grow a healthy habit of eating a balanced diet, it’ll boost up your physical and mental health.
But which foods should you include in your diet? What makes them a complete balanced diet? To motivate you through the process, let’s learn about the importance of building healthy dietary habits and how you can improve them.
Is rainwater safe enough to drink
Why teeth hurt when you drink something cold
What Is The Diet In Nutrition
Diet is a buzzing word when it comes to the weight loss arena. The cliché meaning of diet is restricting food intake to certain limits. Everyone seems to forget if there could be more meanings of diet. Other than the restrictive idea, diet has a broader meaning in its truest sense.
Diet can be defined as incorporating different types of foods prepared to meet the full range of nutritional requirements. In simple words, diet means the foods we eat or drink every day. It ranges from fruits and vegetables to milk and juice. Commonly they should include all the proximate principles.
As one food can’t provide all the essential nutrients, you need to combine different foods to get the required nutrition. A healthy diet always includes varieties on the table. The more variations you add to your meal, the more nutrition you get.
What Is Called Habit
Experts say that 40% of our daily work is subjected to automaticity. We perform these activities without conscious thinking. Habit is the automaticity in actions developed under routine activities triggered by a particular place, time, or situation. If you have enough motivation to pursue an action, it’ll become a habit in a few days. To build a healthy dietary habit, you need three things.
First, you need a cue or trigger that’ll initiate the habit-building process. The trigger can be a specific time or place. It would be best if you practiced the action regularly. After some time, you’ll feel automaticity while performing the act. But it’ll be time-consuming to build eating habits if the action doesn’t derive any pleasure. Any reward or pleasure speeds the habit-building process.
What Is Healthy Dietary Habit
Dietary habit implies the habitual decisions of a person about his daily consumption of foods. If his dietary habit fulfills the range of nutritional requirements, it’ll be considered a healthy dietary habit. A poor dietary habit can ruin your health. So selection of diet to build habit needs special attention.
If you want to build a healthy eating habit, you need to be strict to pursue the actions. If you want to add fruits or raw vegetables to your breakfast, act upon the habit-building process mentioned earlier. Here the breakfast serves as a cue or trigger. If you eat certain fruits such as citrus fruit or vegetables daily, you’ll end up completing the second phase of growing a healthy habit. When you enjoy eating fruits or vegetables, the process of habit building speeds up.
Choice of a healthy dietary habit varies from person to person. But some everyday food habits are helpful for all to adopt. But depending on your age, sex, activities, diseases conditions, ethnicity, your eating habits may vary significantly.
To pick the best dietary habits, you need to acquire some wisdom and some facts about food. Growing healthy dietary habits depend on many things besides facts about your health. So better pay attention to the availability and cost of the foods. Seasonal fruits and vegetables are great options for growing a healthy eating habit. However, depending on your economic condition, taste, preferable actions, you need to choose foods.
It’s maybe you like pink fruits and vegetables more than purple ones. Some people prefer red, yellow, or orange fruits and vegetables. Though white fruits and vegetables are a bit bland in style, they are no less helpful than their colorful counterparts.
What Does A Healthy Eating Lifestyle Consist Of
If you want to grow healthy dietary habits, some essential nutrients should be added to your diet. Your meal plate will be all healthy if it includes the proximate principles of food. The proximate principles of food mean the inclusion of carbohydrates, protein, fat, vitamins, minerals, water, and dietary fibers. But these components should be proportionate and shouldn’t exceed or recede the required amounts.
How Could You Improve Your Dietary Habits
Consumption of any of these nutrients in small or large quantities can result in malnutrition. An estimate of your total calorie requirement in a day can help you put up the right foods on your table in the right amount. However, it would help if you kept these things in mind before adopting an eating habit.
- As staple foods, you can consider adding wheat, rice, maize, etc., or any starchy foods to your diet. They are essential to provide a good percentage of your required energy supply.
- Add legumes like peanuts, lentils, beans to your diet chart. It’s better to be careful to maintain the limit of consuming certain legumes.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables of different tastes and colors. You can take on pink fruits and even yellow fruits and vegetables to diversify your eating lifestyle. It’s better to eat three or more servings of vegetables a day. Daily consumption of two or more servings of fruits is enough to maintain good health.
- Try to include whole grain cereals as they are jam-packed with dietary fibers. Processed foods are devoid of these benefits. Brown rice is a good source of dietary fibers. Compared to white rice, brown rice seems more valuable concerning nutrition profile. Try to find brown rice and fiber-rich bread to complete your meal.
- Avoid fatty foods. Drinking low-fat milk and dairy products can keep cardiovascular diseases at bay. After heating the milk, please keep it at a low temperature for four hours. Remove the heavy cream from the milk, and it’s all healthy now to drink. Skimmed milk is enriched in calcium and other nutrients. It lacks fat content only.
- Choose from various low-fat sources of proteins. While buying poultry, take them without skin. Lean meats, eggs, seafood are good sources of low-fat proteins.
- Trans fat found in margarine or palm oil damage our body systems. Avoid saturated fats as they are detrimental to heart health. However, polyunsaturated fatty acids are incredibly beneficial to health. They are found in vegetable oils. They aren’t bad at all though some people tend to think all fats are harmful to health.
- Consumption of salts should be restricted as they can aggravate hypertension and kidney diseases. Extra sodium can be dangerous as it maintains the volume of body fluids.
- Drink more water. It’ll promote kidney health. Our body consists of 70% of water. To cope up with the water turnover rate, one should drink at least 25-40 ml/kg/day.
- Exclude junk foods and carbonated soft drinks from your diet. These things ruin every healthy thing you do. Eliminate the habit of drinking alcohol if you have one. Swap these bad habits with good practices of drinking more water and green tea.
How Important Is A Healthy Eating Habit To One’s Health
Healthy eating habit includes all forms of nutrition to sustain a lively and active life. Choice of the right food at the right time in the right way can be the key to maintaining a sustainable dietary habit. Building a healthy dietary practice can help you in many ways. But what exactly are the benefits you’ll get from healthy eating?
1. Enhanced Productivity
The habit of eating healthy foods increases productivity manifolds. Intake of light and healthy superfoods can energize you all day long. They strengthen the connections between neuron cells and enhance your capability to provide fruitful outputs. Your body gets revitalized too. A recent review of various studies found out the positive effect of healthy eating on laborers.
Another study suggests that eating something during work hours can eliminate tiredness. This small act of eating can bring the rhythm back in full swing. Intake of whole fruits, legumes, and proteins naturally enhance the energy level for a more extended period. If you feel tired right after having a meal, you have a severe problem with your dietary habit. Maybe eating sugars, processed foods, junk foods are causing such situations.
2. Improved Heart Health
Nearly half of American adults suffer from heart diseases due to poor choices of diet. To maintain a healthy heart, you need to curate the inclusion of proper nutrition. Start by avoiding a fat-rich diet. A high-fat diet is detrimental to heart health. They form plaques in coronary arteries and cause atherosclerosis. Try to avoid these saturated and cholesterol-rich foods. Add fiber-rich foods to your diet and live a healthy life.
3. Protection Against Chronic Diseases
Eating colorful fruits and vegetables can enhance your immunity against chronic inflammatory diseases. Red, pink fruits, or green leafy vegetables are effective in this case. They contain tons of antioxidants to fight any oxidative stress in your body—some phytochemicals like lycopene combat the spreading of cancer cells.
4. Betterment Of Mood
Your dietary habit has much to do with your mental health. A study on healthy and obese people shows that eating high glycemic foods can lead to depression and fatigue. Those who love to eat junk foods, soft drinks, starchy bread, cakes, and cookies have developed such mental conditions. To eliminate these risks, start eating whole fruits, whole grains, and leafy vegetables. They are evergreen and will keep you evergreen.
5. Promotion Of Gut Health
Normal flora, which refers to helpful bacteria in our gut, is essential to maintain a healthy digestive tract. Dietary fibers act as prebiotics for these bacteria. A healthy diet consisting of high dietary fibers and low sugars helps maintain the microbiome in the colon. They reduce the risks of colon cancer and constipation. Adding fruits and vegetables with whole grains can meet up the demand for dietary fibers. Eating fruits and vegetables will keep the GIT diseases at bay.
6. Powerful Memory
A 2015 study done by Barbara Strasser interlinked the role of physical activity and diet on cognitive functions. She found out that certain nutrients and foods prevent dementia and cognitive decline. Vitamin C, D, E are found effective along with omega-3 fatty acids, flavonoids, and even fishes. However, glucose is the only food our brain can consume. Intake of little glucose foods will be enough in that case.
The internal functions of our body are regulated under certain conditions. To maintain homeostasis, one should consume foods that harmonize our body systems. Luckily, we’re blessed with some body buffer systems and immune systems that can protect us from malfunctions on a small scale. If you take toxic, unnecessary, and unhealthy foods, it can damage your body at the cellular level.
Learned people say that now is the best time to start something good—So no more delay. Modify your dietary habits and convert them into good ones. Eating fresh and healthy foods will bring about significant changes in your life if you grow them as a habit. Just cling to healthy eating habits. If you’re keen on building healthy dietary habits, scroll our menus and find the beneficial foods that suit you most.